...

7/12/13

Superheroes Quilt

DSC_0179
DSC_0191
DSC_0176
DSC_0205
Superheroes Quilt
Superheroes Quilt - Binding


Happy Friday! I hope you had a lovely week. I finished the Superheroes quilt I have been working on for my four-year-old nephew. This was an interesting project and a little out of my comfort zone from beginning  to end. Improv piecing is not my strong suit, but I had this idea of the superheros flying over the city landscape so I thought  imrov piecing was they way to go. Surprisingly it was easier than I had thought and the quilt top came together rather quick.
I chose to quilt it with random lines all over. The lines left by the impov piecing on the negative space gave me the inspiration to choose this quilting style. I think it really works with the overall playful look of the quilt. 
I'm so pleased with the way it turned out. The gray background provides the perfect background for the brightly colored characters and signs and at the same time it tones them down a bit. I just love it!
I can go on and on telling you about how much I love this little quilt, but the important thing is: did my nephew like it?... Oh yes he did! He was really excited... even though the day I gave it to him was a super hot day, he wrapped the quilt around him and told me -"thank you Tia, it is so cozy"- Oh that just melted my heart. Best thank you ever!

XX

Martha.
 

14 comments:

  1. This quilt is SO MUCH FUN!!!! I looove the super heroes flying over the city - what an awesome idea. Your use of colour here is perfect - they grey backdrop frames the bright colours just right. AND being that orange is my very favourite colour - I adore the zig-zag binding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martha, it's brilliant! The quilting is perfect. No wonder he loves it:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quilt Martha! And how wonderful that you tried something new (and did it so well.). That is such a cool design and the binding choice is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is incredible Martha, from the positioning of the super heroes, the fabric choices, wow to the binding, and then your quilting design which just gives it so much ummmmppppphhhh that it's unbelievable. Top it all off with a handful of your photos and it's simply perfect, I'm not surprised in the least that it was so appreciated! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello--they are flying over a city?! Much more crazy awesome than I envisioned when you were first writing about this quilt. I'm so glad your nephew loves it. Your binding is perfect, too. Zap!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome!! I love the way you quilted it! And the binding... perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, awesome! I love this, Martha! Especially the binding against the background fabric. And the quilting compliments the theme-- it's evokes a feeling of electricity. Zap! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The perfect quilt for a little boy, the quilting really works well, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That quilt is amazing, so great for a little boy! Will check out that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how he loves his Super Hero Quilt. This morning he woke up and said " Mama, I'm cold. I need my Super Hero blankie

    ReplyDelete
  11. He love his quilt. Thank you for thinking of my babe Martha! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's fabulous Martha I am not surprised you have lots to say about it. Everything about it is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very fun quilt! Don't let my nephew see it or he will want one!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just been having a browse through your sewing projects, all so lovely but I think this one has to be my favourite!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I really appreciate them. I love hearing from you!