So here it is, I finally finished the top I have been working on. My first addition to my handmade wardrobe. The pattern is Top A from the Stylish Dress Book Volume 2. The pattern is actually very easy to follow and extremely user friendly; especially for beginners like me. All the instructions are put in a few easy steps and it includes pictures to illustrate the construction.
I really like the way it turned out. However there are some things that didn't come out as planned. The fit is a bit loose but I think this gives me a good starting point for sizing when using this book. Although, I been debating whether or not I I should take a few inches from the sides. Finally the fabric, while I love the silky texture and amazing drape it has, it had its challenges working with it. It frays very easily so I had to be careful at not handling it too much before ovelocking the edges. And hand basting became my best friend since the fabric is very slippery. I wanted to make sure the pieces didn't shift while sewing them. Specially the pleats and the neck binding.
My friend Nat has the same book so we had decided to make the same top and share our adventures (I'm a bit late sharing mine, sorry Nat). You can see her top here. She shares her insights about working with this pattern and a mini tutorial on how to make the gathering for the sleeves.
Overall I think my first experience in dress making was a success. I'm really looking forward to adding a few more handmade items to my wardrobe.
Have a great week!
**Linking up to New To Me in 2014 over at Celtic Thistle Stitches **