...

5/26/14

Conquering My Fear of Color

Color Explosion Quilt
Color Explosion Quilt
Color Explosion Quilt
Color Explosion Quilt Back
Color Explosion Quilt
Color Explosion Quilt
I finally got back to my sewing machine and I finished a quilt! It is a small one but I'm really excited about  it and so happy to share with you.  The colors are not something that I would typically choose. For some reason I always shy away from bright colors. But I received a fat eight bundle of these happy fabrics as a gift and I couldn't resist to turn them into a quilt and conquer my fear of color. The quilt top was so easy and fun to put together; I simply cut strips of 1-1/2 inches wide and  of different lengths and joined them together randomly to get a scrappy effect. For the backing I used the ever so popular Britten Nummer fabric from Ikea (I had some left over from another project and was very surprised at how well it complements the bright colors from the quilt top). But I think my favorite detail about this quilt is the aqua binding. I chose it a the last minute and I absolutely love how it ties everything together. It is like an explosion of color :)
I'm so thankful to have received these lovely and cheerful fabrics because they have definetely made me less affraid of using more color on my projects. 
Have a beautiful week!

XX

Martha

16 comments:

  1. Sometimes it's fun to surprise yourself:-) Love the result!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea - as Catherine said, it's good to get out of our comfort zone sometimes and your quilt is really pretty. I love colour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I like the combo of that backing with the bright, colorful top too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This quilt is bursting with summer colors! Great job! I need one just like this ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hurray for you for stepping outside of your comfort zone. Your quilt is fabulous with all the bright, happy colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that fear of colour was well and truly conquered! Good for you. I love the way the binding and the back compliments the bright top so well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. *sigh* - this is sooooo pretty. Really really pretty. I especially admire your use of skinny strips to achieve the overall scrappy effect, it really speaks to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love colour - and this is colour at its best - so bright and happy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. that's a pretty spectactular move to using colour, I'd suggest you're ready to try it some more - your quilt is just gorgeous :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! The colours are fabulous and good on you for trying something out of your comfort zone!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks great! Hopefully you will embrace the bold colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love those happy colors! It will make you smile whenever you see it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous scrappy, happy finish! I love a bright colours and the backing and binding are a perfect compliment to them. Gorgeous little quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your bright colors! Don't be afraid of color or putting different things together. I've had people ask my how I put colors and prints together but the truth is I just let quilts happen. I can't force it. That sort of structure just doesn't work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks so lovely and bright :) A happy little quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristina! You are so right it is a happy little quilt. It makes me smile every time I look at it.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments I really appreciate them. I love hearing from you!