...

5/18/12

Carrot-Zucchini Muffins


Wednesday was farmer's market day in town. The market runs from May through September and it is a great place to buy local organic foods and  produce. Every time I go I want to buy everything; this time I bought asparagus, kale, red onions, fresh garlic, broccoli, cucumbers, lettuce, carrots and zucchini. I steamed some carrots and broccoli for Mini and Mona and they loved it! I also made carrot-zucchini muffins. This is a great recipe, very versatile; I had made the muffins using only carrots or only zucchini with very good results, but my favorite is using half and half. They are not very sweet, so they are excellent for breakfast or to eat any time of the day.


Carrot-Zucchini Muffins
Slightly adapted from Whole Living Magazine, April 2011
Makes 12
*You can substitute the buttermilk for yogurt or milk with a few drops of lemon juice.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons wheat germ
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup canola oil
1/3 cup buttermilk*
2 eggs
3/4 brown sugar
1 cup finely grated carrots
1 cup finely grated zucchini

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a standard muffin tin with paper liners.
2. Remove excess water from the zucchini by placing it on a colander or between two paper towels and squeeze it.
3. In a medium bowl whisk together dry ingredients (flours, wheat germ, cinnamon, baking powders, baking soda and salt), and set aside. In a large bowl whisk together wet ingredients and sugar (oil, butter milk, eggs, sugar, carrots and zucchini). Incorporate flour mixture into wet using a spatula mix until just combined without overmixing.
4. Pour batter into baking cups and bake for about 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.



5. Remove from the oven and let muffins cool for a few minutes in the pan. Transfer to a wire rack finish cooling.


Enjoy!

Martha.

2 comments:

  1. Popping over from Lily's Quilts...I want to try this recipe! My son loves (as he calls it) zunnini bread...if I could hide some carrots i there too, that would be even better! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellie for stopping by. My nephew loves these muffins with "hidden" vegetables.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments I really appreciate them. I love hearing from you!