...

5/1/12

Pasta With Charred Grape Tomatoes


Sunday was a great day! I love the feeling at the end of the day when one feels that things got done. Sunday was one of those days. My husband and I got up early in the morning (well not too early, early for a Sunday) and drove to the home improvement store. We bought some sacks of compost and organic fertilizer for the vegetables. after we got home we worked in the garden for a while. It might not be some people's idea of fun, but we had a lot of fun.
Later in the day I made pasta with grape tomatoes. Our tomato plants are still you, so the tomatoes were from the market. But still they were pretty good. the recipe I got the inspiration from calls for slow roasted plum tomatoes. However, I only had grape tomatoes on hand and roasting the tomatoes takes some time (about 45 minutes), so to speed things up I opted to broil the tomatoes. It only took 5-8 minutes and they tasted great. Plus I got to use some of my fresh oregano.


Pasta With Charred Grape Tomatoes
Serves 2

Ingredients:
2 cups grape tomatoes
1/2 lb short pasta such a shells or elbow
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Basil and oregano leaves for garnish
Parmesan shavings for garnish


Method:

1. Place grape tomatoes on a baking sheet and broil on high for about 5-8 minutes or until the skins begin to look charred.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook pasta according to package directions. Drain the pasta and reserve 1 cup of pasta water. Meanwhile in skillet heat oil over medium high heat. Suttee garlic for 1-2 minutes until fragrant, then add the pepper flakes and continue to stir for another minute. Add broiled tomatoes and 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Season with salt and pepper and breakup the tomatoes with a spoon and cook for about 5 minutes to thicken the sauce.


3. Toss the pasta together with the sauce and add more pasta water if necessary. Serve immediately topped with basil, oregano and Parmesan shavings.

Enjoy!

Martha.

1 comment:

Thank you for your comments I really appreciate them. I love hearing from you!