...

3/10/12

Lemon Scones


Continuing on my quest of using up the lemons from the garden, I have been cooking everything with lemons. From sweet to savory dishes everything has lemon in it. Which, is not much of a sacrifice for us since we love lemons so much. As a matter of fact, I am always on the look for new lemon recipes to add to my recipe collection because one can never have too many lemon recipes.
Speaking of lemon recipes, I want to share with you this recipe for lemon scones. Scones are one of my favorite pastries to make (and eat). I find them irresistible: fluffy, tender and slightly sweet... just divine. The first scones I tried were store bought and were delicious. But once I learned how to make my own, there was not going back. Homemade scones are even better and the flavor choices are endless.

Lemon Scones
Adapted from King Arthur Flour
Makes 6-8 Scones


Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup corn starch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups heavy cream

Optional: Lemon icing to decorate scones

1.  In a medium size bowl whisk together flour, corn starch, salt, baking powder, sugar and lemon zest. Stir in 1 cup of heavy cream. Continue to add the rest of the cream 1/4 at a time until the flour mix is completely moisten and you are able to gather the dough together.
2.  Turn the dough onto a floured parchment paper and pat the dough into a 8" circle. Using a sharp knife cut the dough into 6-8 wedges. Separate the pieces of dough (leaving them on the parchment paper) and place them on a baking sheet.
3.   Freeze for about 30 minutes (Do not skip this step. Freezing the scones before baking is what makes them fluffy and tender).
4.   Bake for 20 minutes in a 425ºF (220ºC) oven, until they are golden brown. Remove from the oven and let them cool completely on a wire rack.
5.   Decorate with lemon icing.


Lemon Icing:
3/4 cup icing sugar
1 1/2  tablespoons lemon juice

In a small bowl mix together icing sugar and lemon juice until well combined. Drizzle over scones.

Scones are great the day you make them, but they keep well in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

Enjoy!

Martha.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, lemon scones! Those look delicious--maybe I've found a new use for all the lemons on my tree. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen. Sometimes is hard to find uses for lemons, specially when you a lemon tree (I have two). I hope you enjoy this recipe.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments I really appreciate them. I love hearing from you!